Lagos, Nigeria/ West Africa – Thursday, June 02, 2022
Queercity Media and Productions – The parent organization of the renowned Queercity Podcast and Pride in Lagos, West Africa’s destination pride event has announced the official lineup for our 2022 Pride in Lagos Festival, “Pride In Lagos” slated for June 20th to 26th 2022 is a Hybrid event. Pride in Lagos is a one-week-long event, originally known as GLOW UP Pride. Pride this year has been themed for the cause of growth and to further our goal as a collective, to continue to reclaim indigenous Queer representation and further societal acceptance for sexual minorities and gender diverse persons in West Africa.
What is Pride when we are trying not to die? Pride is the hands we all hold in unison, for the hope we may live this life through various times, that which runs from Nigeria to Ghana, to Ivory Coast, Togo, Benin, etc uplifting LGBT+ persons across West Africa from the economic capital of the region, Lagos, Nigeria. Organizing an event of this size with a tight timeline, scheduling conflicts, an ever-changing and unfavorable socio-political atmosphere, lack of access to funding, Covid-19 Travel protocols, and increased costs has proven to be quite the challenge has indeed been challenging. But we are so excited to finally announce our line-up and festival plans as this event was designed to capture the wholesome Queer African experience in both the mainstream scene and grassroots while celebrating our resilience as a community.
This event brings International businesses, local businesses, NGOs, vendors, creatives, entertainers, and citizens together in a whole new way and I’m very proud of what we’ve accomplished.”– O.K.Timileyin ( Organizer Pride in Lagos)
Pride In Lagos is the first of its kind in terms of reach, registrations, impact, and size! We get at numerous numbers of registrations daily; This festival after an overarching theme of “Living Lives of Hope” aimed at celebrating Queer resilience, activism, love, friendship, and movement building, on the west African soils in the past year, our local drag queens, and local non-conforming entertainers, writers, photographers etc. Over 40% of the festival programming are virtual, and the remaining 60% would span from end of the mainland to the islands of Lagos, ending at the open mic/pride party with Lagos own Urban artist! Pride In Lagos is pleased to welcome on its Festival Stage Temmie Ovwasa as the Headlining performer on the 26th of June 2022. while the dance pavilion host various activities like Dragherthon, Pride In Lagos Ball, etc.
“Pride is for everyone!” and Pride in Lagos would further amplify this through various activities tailored to capture the wholesome and chaotic West African LGBT+ experience, the highs and low, fears and joys. We opened our door to partnerships with numerous local and international acts and organizations this year to expand the scope of our program, And Our Pride Grand Marshalls for 2022 are Aja Kween from Rupaul Dragrace, Rupaul Dragrace All Stars, and Legendaray season 3 Nigeria’s very own Bisi Alimi who has appeared on many international television stations, including CNN, BBC, Al Jazeera, CCTV, and outlets like NPR and the Washington Post have profiled him.
Queercity media Board of Directors will implement the same registration and admission requirements for all Pride In Lagos events. Festival attendees will need to show proof of registration and admission and a negative COVID-19 test dated within 72 hours of entrance time for foreigners attending the festival. The festival grounds will have hand sanitizer stations, suggest masks and social distancing whenever possible.
This year, we are launching the Pride in Lagos 2022 anthology and report titled; tales of Hope and also Inaugurating the historical Shelle list in Partnership with The Nigerian LGBT+ Museum of Arts, celebrating key and impactful works and representation in the Nigerian LGBT scene, at home and diaspora. Thanks to our headlining media partner Grindr and Fatshionista Brand, and sponsors like the InterPride, Centre for Black Equity, Capitol Ballroom Council, Black Trans Travel org, Area Scatter Pan Africa, and other private individuals who have channeled different resources, Time, Talents and treasures to make Pride In Lagos happen.
For all festival information, entertainment lineup, Panel discussions, accommodations, and more, please visit linktr.ee/prideinlagos
Lastly, I and Team Pride in Lagos say “Welcome to Lagos”
Pride In Lagos